Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bali Brunch (sort of)


It's Sunday morning. I have a fridge full of ingredients from earlier in the week and New York feels like a muggy July afternoon. What to eat....

When I was fourteen my mother and I went to Bali. One of the best parts of the day was breakfast. Every morning we would have a bowl of sweet, red sticky rice piled up with fresh fruit still warm from the sun, mangos, passion fruit, papaya, lime, coconut and red bananas, and we washed it down with a big cup of strong black tea with fresh ginger slices.

Using leftovers from this past week and fresh fruit from a trip to the store, here is my take on a Balinese breakfast in New York.

Fruit
pineapple
mango
papaya
banana
coconut flakes
cilantro
lime

Slice up the fruit, sprinkle some coconut flakes and cilantro on top and give it all a little squeeze of lime juice.

Tea
black tea (PG tips)
fresh ginger

Slice the ginger and put it in your teacup with a tea bag. Pour boiling water over and steep. Remove the tea bag but leave the ginger in your cup. Spicy!

And since it's brunch I sliced some good pain de campagne bread, made eggs in my toaster oven and bought some liberte coconut yogurt. 

Is it too early to take a nap?




No comments:

Post a Comment